|Raising funds for a good cause|
by By Chris Steinbach · October 10, 2012
The West Liberty Athletic Booster Club and the West Liberty School Foundation need your help. The two organizations are leading an effort to raise $100,000. The money is needed to buy flooring and paint, along with new equipment and weights for the multipurpose room under construction at West Liberty High School.
“It will be a matter of when we get (the money), then we can finish the room,” said Jackie Henderson, the district’s talented and gifted teacher and a booster club member. “It’s going to be really nice when it’s finished.”
Construction of the $1.3 million project began earlier this year and was scheduled for completion this month. A $654,750 grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency is being used to help finance the addition, which will include a safe room where students and community members can go during severe weather. In addition to the federal funds, the state contributed $87,300 to the project. The remaining financing has come from:
• West Liberty Community School District – $242,450
• West Liberty Community School District Foundation – $86,000
• Ryan Trust – $50,000
• West Liberty Athletic Booster Club – $35,000
• West Liberty Youth Sports – $30,000
• Greater Foundation of Muscatine County – $5,000
• Annual golf event from the boys’ basketball, football and wrestling programs’ fundraiser – $5,000
“The final stage of this project is to raise (the) additional $100,000 for the remaining costs of this project,” Maria Newton said in a letter sent to alumni and community members and business owners.
“Our vision is to provide our students, athletic programs, and community with a new facility that will be equipped with state-of-the-art strength training and cardiovascular equipment,” she said. “A new facility will make a difference in the lives and families of everyone involved … A healthier lifestyle equals increased self-esteem, an improved quality of life, better health and a brighter future.”
In addition to the safe room, the addition will include a:
• Weight Room – The current weight room is at the old high school, which is now the middle school. And some of the machines are old. Bringing the weight room to the high school in this new facility will allow better use for physical education classes and athletic programs.
• Wrestling Room – The wrestling room is also currently at the middle school.
Plaques will be displayed in the new facility with the names of donors and the level of their donations. Club levels of donations that will be placed on the plaque are: Platinum, $2,500 and above; Gold, $1,500; Silver, $1,000; Bronze, $500; Blue, $250; White, $100.
Donations of less than $100 will also be accepted.
Checks should be made payable to:
West Liberty Community School District Foundation
c/o Joy Burr
111 W. Seventh St.
West Liberty, IA 52776
Or you may go to www.wl.k12.ia.us/domain/49 and click on the link to donate in the left-hand column.