The West Liberty Board of Education appointed its president and vice-president at its meeting Monday, Nov. 21.
Jake Burroughs nominated Ed Moreno for the position of president.
Moreno responded by nominating Burroughs and rescinded his nomination.
Burroughs was approved unanimously as president.
Next, nominations were taken for vice-president.
Burroughs nominated Moreno for vice-president.
Moreno nominated board member Becky Vargas for vice-president. Vargas’ was approved unanimously as vice-president.
After the board officers were elected, Burroughs swore in Abby Ortiz as the secretary for the board of education and secretary.
The rest of the meeting went pretty quickly once the nominations were done.
Remaining items covered at the board of education meeting included:
• setting the dates and times for their meetings. They will be the first and third Monday of each month at 6 p.m.;
• approving the depositories. West Liberty State Bank was approved for up to $13 million, MidWest One Bank for up to $1.75 million and up to $6 million at ISJIT;
• approving Vicki Vernon as the district’s 504 coordinator;
• approving Andrew Genz as the district’s equity coordinator;
• approving Stephanie Paulson and Russ Hughes as the Level 1 coordinators for the school district;
• approving Jim Sweeney & Associates as the Level II coordinator;
• approving Adam Loria as the Title IX coordinator;
• continued with a Memorandum of Agreement with Eastern Iowa Community Colleges for students enrolled in classes at the college and in the school district for the 2022-23 school year;
• and approved the Modified Supplemental Amount for open enrolled students out of the district in the amount of $81,665 and approved the LEP for $173,390 for five years.
Resignations were approved from Konrad Moore – the assistant varsity boys basketball coach and bus route driver Kevin Grothe.
New hires included: Araceli Vazquez as a paraprofessional for the ELC/elementary school, Dorianne Rees as the speech coach, Troy Wulf as assistant varsity girls basketball coach, Jonas Otto as assistant varsity boys basketball coach and Steve O’ Neil as a bus route driver.